Learn from the best. Our book, Process Mapping, Process Improvement, and Process Management has been #1 on Amazon for 7 straight years in process mapping and improvement!
Process mapping can be an extremely powerful diagnostic tool for your organization. By analyzing processes you will not only find process issues, but also uncover structural problems, poor controls, and people issues. You will learn to tap into employee frustration to fix processes and get to the root cause of quality and timeliness issues.
By using the sixteen symptoms of a broken process and the five lenses of process analysis, this workshop will teach you how to pinpoint those processes most in need of immediate attention. You will also learn to use key criteria to prioritize you process improvement efforts at your organization. Once you have diagnosed your process, and identified its problems, you will be able to pick the right improvement technique, including continuous process improvement, process redesign, six sigma, lean techniques, and reengineering. Throughout the workshop, you’ll be able to practice these techniques on your own real-world processes, and leave the seminar with multiple improvement ideas.
Often people are unaware that process design principles exist. The design principles apply to work flow, information flow, and job design. By using these powerful design principles, you will be able to create processes that are exceptionally fast, dramatically cheaper, and that produce very high quality products or services. As part of the diagnosis of processes, learn to capture process costs, quality costs, cycle, process, and wait time, and employee frustrations. By costing out process and quality costs, you will be able to demonstrate to senior management cost savings and return on investment opportunities.
Moving to a process focused organization requires both a skill set and mind set. Process mapping will give you the skills you need to enact real process improvement within your organization. In addition to learning specific skills, you will be coached in leading and facilitating the mind set that will launch your organization to the next level of performance. Part of the mind set is the new role of process managers or consultants. Also, you will learn how to select, organize, and facilitate process improvement efforts in your own organization. Finally, you will learn the eight major barriers to process improvement and effective strategies for overcoming these barriers.
A special feature of this program is that every participant will practice the tools and methods on a process from their own organization. Leave with an action plan to fix these processes and then establish in your organization an environment of on-going process improvement. In addition, each participant will receive a copy of the instructor’s book; Process Mapping, Process Improvement, and Process Management.
This seminar is perfect for business analysts, department heads, chief operating officers, process analysts, and consultants.
Also this course can be customized to meet your specific needs. Just contact us and we will build a course that is perfect for your organization!
Attending this workshop will enable you to:
- practice and construct a variety of process maps
- understand the eight major barriers to process improvement and effective strategies for overcoming them
- identify broken processes through 16 telltale symptoms
- pinpoint the processes most in need of immediate attention
- capture metrics on costs, timing and quality
- turn staff frustration into ideas to improve processes, people and systems
- eliminate duplication and bureaucracy
- delve into the details of tasks and procedures to spot problems
- select, organize and lead your process improvement efforts
- use powerful design principles to create elegant processes
- demonstrate cost savings and return on investment opportunities to senior management
- facilitate the mindset that will launch your organization to the next level of performance
- types of work management structures
- defining an organization: people, processes, systems and structure
- where do most organizational problems originate?
Understanding Suppliers and Customers
- evaluating, measuring and partnering with suppliers
- developing a customer report card
Diagnosing a Process
- how to identify a broken process
- selecting a process for redesign
- the five main advantages to process mapping
- the four types of information captured in a process map
- flow charting symbols and how to use them
- types of process maps: macro level flow chart, functional-activity level flow chart, task and procedural level
Constructing a Functional-Activity Flow Chart
- identifying and reducing staff frustrations
- eliminating bottlenecks and bureaucracy
- using automation, videotaping and information technology
- selecting high impact ideas to be implemented immediately
- gathering cycle time, process time and wait time data
- using Activity Based Costing to calculate true profitability, creating a bridge to strategic planning
- quality costs: calculating the cost of poor quality, using quality improvement and basic six sigma tools
- work and information flow
- job design
- clean sheet redesign
Implementing Process Improvement
- ten-step process redesign methodology
- five implementation options
- overcoming the eight common process improvement obstacles
Managing the Process Team
- selecting team members
- assigning roles and responsibilities
- appointing a project manager, facilitator and champion
“Dan Madison’s process mapping class delivers results. You will learn powerful tools and techniques that are practical to apply and easily understood by others in your organization. After taking the class, I had the knowledge and confidence to analyze and redesign key business processes and get performance improvements—fast.”
Director of Corporate Quality
California State Automobile Association
“Our company plans were to upgrade the current ERP system. However, before we started, we knew we had to thoroughly understand our business processes first. Dan taught us process mapping and redesign techniques and the end result is that we are making significant headway in streamlining our business processes before ERP implementation and without needing expensive outside consulting time. This course is first rate and I would recommend it to anyone serious about process improvement.”
Project Manager, Manufacturing Systems
Silicon Storage Technology
“Becoming focused on processes takes discipline, time, and a methodology. Using Dan Madison’s facilitation we are developing a comprehensive city-wide Health and Safety program. The cost savings to the City can be enormous. If you want to move your organization towards a streamlined coordinated effort that saves money and reduces waste, I recommend this approach.”
City Safety Officer
City of San Jose
“When I thought up the idea to introduce your process improvement training to our entire department and convinced my director to go for it, I anticipated that it would have good benefits. Well, I must tell you I was wrong – it has had great benefits and has made a huge impact. The hands-on approach of your seminar and your thorough knowledge of the core process improvement steps have inspired our department. Thanks again, great job.”
Manager SAIL Engineering
United Space Alliance, Houston, Texas